Thread: Question; Velcro straps

Question; Velcro straps

I am wondering if velcro straps create/hold static electricity? If my cables were strapped behind the motherboard and came in contact with the board could there be a potential for ESD or a build up of ES in the straps? Been curious about this.

you would have to be talking about the worst ever wire job.
    say with bare copper?

No nothing like that, I'm just curious as to velcro holding a static charge, or if a build up is possible

Very unlikely.

It could be possible, but the likelihood is very low. In addition, you're usually not going to have them interfacing with static sensitive devices, and will usually be on the back side of the motherboard tray holding cables, so unless something weird happens, I don't think I would worry about it.

I've retrofitted a number of cases with velcro in the back, including my two main computers and never had any static issues that I can detect. I've also seen a number of builds on-line where velcro was used to hold PCI-E and PSU cables in place on the front side of the motherboard tray, and again no issues.
    DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

I'd say unlikely too. Too many case manufacturers are using Velcro cable tie downs, so if it was an issue, we'd have heard all about it.

My last 3 PSU's all came with Velcro ties.
    Can't see where there would be a static build up.

If they were constantly rubbing on something then that might cause static build up. A comb builds up static from friction of dragging it through your hair. Carpets cause static build up if you drag your feet. If something is stationary then it doesn't build up static.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.

Thanks for you replies everyone